Poison Proof Your Home

More than 90 percent of the time, poisonings happen in people’s homes. The majority of these poison image
poisonings occur in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. That is why it is important to follow simple steps to prevent a poisoning from happening at home.

 If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned, or accidents happen with chemicals, medicine, or household items, immediately call the toll-free Poison Help line (1-800-222-1222), which connects you to your local poison center.

Teach your family to never touch or put anything in their mouths unless they know what it is. Below  are additional tips on how to keep poisonous items safe in your home.

  • Keep medicines in their original containers, properly labeled, and store them appropriately.
  • Have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home. The best places for a CO detector are near bedrooms and close to furnaces. 
  • Keep household products in their original containers. Do not use food containers (such as cups or bottles) to store household cleaners and other chemicals or products.
  • Keep all laundry products locked up, high, and out of the reach of children.
  • Keep antifreeze and all chemicals and household products in their original containers.
  • Some art products are mixtures of chemicals. They can be dangerous if not used correctly.
  • Make sure children use art products safely by reading and following directions.
  • Do not eat or drink while using art products.
  • Wash skin after contact with art products. Clean equipment. Wipe tables, desks, and counters.
  • Keep art products in their original containers.
  • Wash hands and counters before preparing all food.
  • Store food at the proper temperatures. Refrigerated foods should not be left out at temperatures above 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).
  • Use clean utensils for cooking and serving.
  • Check the label on any insect repellent. Be aware that most contain DEET, which can be poisonous in large quantities.
  • Be sure that everyone in your family can identify poisonous mushrooms and plants. posion control picRemember when it comes to poison ivy, “leaves of three, let it be.”

Call the toll-free Poison Help line (1-800-222-1222), which connects you to your local poison center, if you suspect someone has been poisoned. If someone is unconscious or has trouble breathing, call 911.

This entry was posted in Facebook. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.